• Newsnususer
  • Newsnususer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Snus Cadet
  • Snus Cadet
More
1 year 3 months ago #56291 by Newsnususer
Newsnususer created the topic: Storing Snus
Hello all,
I do not have a fridge in which I can store my snus. Do you think it'd be OK to store my snus in the freezer? I'd be using it before the expiration date. Will it get freezer burn?

Also, what's the longest I can make an open can last?

Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #56292 by LarryWaters
LarryWaters replied the topic: Storing Snus
Hi and welcome!

Think of snus as you would a steak. You can keep it in the fridge for a period of time before you cook it so it stays fresh. You can also freeze the steak to keep it fresh for a much longer period of time.

You can do the same with snus but like a steak, if you freeze it, you can only defrost it once.

Freezing snus is a great idea of you buy a huge amount at one time (like a great sale on your favorite). If you also have snus that has less than a month before expiring, you can freeze it keep it fresh until you're ready for it too.

At a minimum, when freezing snus, keep it in a freezer bag with as much air pushed out as possible. Most snusers vacuum seal their snus for freezing. ZipLok has inexpensive hand pump the air out to more expensive electrical vacuum sealers using special bags. These start for less than $100 (that's what I use) or well into the hundreds for professional and commercial vacuum sealers. If you hunt, you probably already have a good vacuum sealer for long term storage of meat.

Ideally snus should not be frozen for more than a year. After 14 months the nicotine will start breaking down and the flavor can start to deteriorate after 16 months. People do still have snus in their freezers from 5 years ago; I found some in the back of my own freezer.

It's safe to use but depending on the snus and how you sealed it up, it might not taste great or may dry out before you finish the can.

Always defrost a can of frozen snus in the fridge for 24 hours for the best results.

If none of this works for you, the important thing for short-term snus storage is to keep it at a cool constant temperature....like wine in a wine cellar. Don't leave a can in the car during the summer or it will dry out pretty quickly.

How long an open can will last depends on the snus. I usually have 5-6 cans open at a time. I keep them in the fridge at night but carry them in my pocket all day. By the time I get to the final portions, some may be a little dry but usable. I go through 4 cans or so a week so hitting the two week open mark is unusual for me.

Hope this helps and I haven't totally confused you. :blink: If you need me to clarify anything, please feel free to ask! :)

Larry Waters
Swedish Snus Ambassador to the United States
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by LarryWaters.

• Newsnususer
  • Newsnususer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Snus Cadet
  • Snus Cadet
More
1 year 3 months ago #56294 by Newsnususer
Newsnususer replied the topic: Storing Snus
Thanks Larry, that was a helpful post.

In your opinion, is it possible to make an open tin last a month or so? I smoke when I drink and only then. So I wanted to keep an open tin for when I drink (which isn't so often).

More
1 year 3 months ago #56295 by John
John replied the topic: Storing Snus
I go along with all that Larry has said. But, I try to only have 3 cans open at a time. Traditional/tobacco, mint, and other.

As for drinking and smoking. After about 2 weeks, the proper snus with your drink of choice just taste so much better than smoking. You don't get that harsh, dry, (nastiness ) on your tongue or the back of your throat.
I hope this helps.
Oh yeah, Welcome aboard!

More
1 year 3 months ago #56297 by LarryWaters
What John said but in regards to an open can staying fresh for a month, especially without refrigeration, the answer is no.

The closest you will get is with a White Dry Portion only. They have very little moisture so you will still have some kick after it's been open for a while. I use the Thunder Ultra Strong White Dry's (original or frosted) but they make a wintergreen too if you like that. Oden's makes White Dry portion snus too.

The key is the word "Dry". A regular white portion will not last a month once the seal is broken.

I'll also tell you Dry portions are not my favorites. Sometimes I need a very strong hit of nicotine and the advantage to the Thunder Ultra's or Oden's Extreme White Dry's is they will last over a month once open and still have a good % of their nicotine left.

Larry Waters

More
1 year 3 months ago #56304 by bigmick
bigmick replied the topic: Storing Snus
What they said. All I can add is a portion straight from the freezer is one of my favorite pleasures. Especially on a hot day.

More
11 months 2 days ago #56493 by LarryWaters
Moe received this from a SnusCentral.com customer and asked us to post it:

In case climate factors into storage of snus portions: I reside near Chicago in the north/central U.S. This is an attempt to summarize my storage experience so far.

In reading storage recommendations from one of the big brands or makers (SM) it seems like storage temperature is most important, then humidity. Obviously using air-tight storage is best as well. The recommendations also said that if the portions have dried out and tatse bad that it means the product has been stored against their recommendations and nicotine level could be compromised and its basically not worth trying to re-humidify.

Ive had the best results storing UNOPENED portions in my regular, 45° refrigerator. Inside freezerlock baggies (about 4 cans laid out flat, not as a roll or stacked). I don't add any water or humidity anywhere inside the baggy. I then put a couple of the full sealed freezer baggies inside of a plastic bag and also twist to seal that regular plastic bag that contains the smaller freezerlock bags.

Whatever you figure out for your air-tight, unopened cans solution, I think having at least 2 "layers" working together probably helps. It took some trial and error and patience to get this far with storage. And it takes patience to trust that whatever solution you figure out will work, and keep working (like when you have used effective storage but the portions might appear just a little dry, or when they might not taste perfect immediately from the refrigerator). It seems like applying any humdity inside the baggy or to the can itself has caused damage to the product. Maybe it draws the natural moisture out of the portions (like condensation or something)? Or adding moisture to opened cans might make the portions overly moist. I do, however make sure there is working moisture in the refrigerator. Maybe keep a bowl or plate of water somewhere inside the refrigerator if needed and keep it fresh. From my experience so far: unopened cans of portions stay good at least 4-6 weeks using this method. I did freeze some cans using the same method (though I don't know if there is moisture in the freezer at all). They were in the freezer for around 4 weeks and then I just moved them into my refrigerator storage method. But obviously the newest cans have the best quality.

OPENED cans- the recommendations say that opened cans can be stored at room temperature. I've found this to be true but I do put opened cans in a freezerlock baggy (at room temperature) for overnight.

There are a couple more factors I can think of right now. They are room humidity level and dry mouth. I've done my best to make sure my room has enough humidty. And tried to not get discouraged about the storage for when dry mouth is a problem.

Hope this helps someone. Authentic swede snus is so much better than smoking. And in my opinion is safer than chew, and even better than pills or gum.

Larry Waters

Moderators: bigmickbr-ettan
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Login

Snus Central Twitter

SnusCENTRAL on YouTube

Perfect Facebook Like Box Sidebar